Pages

Background

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chicken Borscht

Ok, so you could argue that it's not truly a borscht for the lack of beets...however, this is absolutely fabulous and that's what I'm calling it.
I cannot convey with enough enthusiasm, how great it feels to fill up a large pot of vegetables that I grew, and prepare a delicious, nutritious meal for my family. That is what I did today, and I feel so good, inside and out, even though my house stinks of cooked cabbage, lol!

 These are the vegetables I grew. The potatoes I did not, but the cabbage, onions, carrots and tomatoes are all mine!

 I know it sounds weird at first, but you HAVE to trust me...you must use the Allspice! OMG! Necessary.
I apologize for the sideways photos, I don't know why they are like that or how to fix them.


Boiling the chicken. Tossed in 3 boneless, skinless breasts. I would have used my own chickens, but I don't have any yet. So I opted for the all natural chicken from my local market, which is fabulously flavorful.

 Tossed in the onions, potatoes and carrots.

 Sorry, but boiled chicken is so ugly by itself.


Yet so beautiful in my pot of veggies!

 Boiled down.
All ready to eat. This is one tasty, hearty meal! We will be putting this on our list of dinners, after all, I have more cabbages to cook ;)

Ingredients

 1 whole chicken (or 3-4 breasts)

  • 1 large onion
  • 4 potatoes, diced
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 1 16 oz. pkg. shredded cabbage, or 1 lb fresh cabbage, shredded
  • 4 peppercorns
  • 4 whole allspice berries (or 1 tsp. ground)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 chicken bullion cubes
  • 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (or 2 medium)
  • 1-2 quarts water
  • 1 cup Half & Half
  • 1 tsp salt

Recipe
  • Cook chicken in salted water until tender. Remove from broth, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces.
  • Add potatoes, carrots, and onions to broth and cook until almost tender.
  • When vegetables are almost cooked through, add diced chicken, tomatoes, cabbage, bullion cubes, and a spice ball containing the peppercorns, allspice berries, and bay leaf.
  • Continue cooking until cabbage is tender.
  • Add half & half and allow to heat through.
  • Note: Do NOT omit the allspice! That is what makes this recipe so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment