Pages

Background

Sunday, October 23, 2011

English Muffin Bread

I made this delicious bread as part of my freezer stockpile. I am working very hard in the next few weeks to stock my freezer with ready to eat foods. I am on the breakfasts right now complete with oatmeal pancakes, cinnamon swirl pancakes, French Toast, homemade poptarts, breakfast burrito's and this bread of course. Stay tuned in the weeks to come for all those recipes!!!

I really enjoyed this blog where I found recipe for English Muffin Bread. Thanks Simple Organized Living!




INGREDIENTS:

{print recipe}
  • 3 c. flour
  • 2 packets active dry yeast {or 4 1/2 t. if you buy it in jars like I do}
  • 2 t. salt
  • 1 T. granulated sugar
  • 1/4 t. baking soda
  • 2 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 2 1/2 c. additional flour

DIRECTIONS:

  • In a large bowl, mix the first 5 dry ingredients together
  • In a small bowl, combine milk and water. Heat in the microwave until hot {usually a minute or two}
  • Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and beat well {I like stirring it with a wooden spoon}
  • Stir in the remaining 2 1/2 c. flour until you have a very stiff batter
  • Spoon batter into two WELL GREASED bread loaf pans
  • Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes
  • Preheat oven to 400*F
  • After bread rises, bake {uncovered} for 25 minutes or until done
  • Remove from pans immediately and let cool completely
  • Cut both loaves into thin slices and freeze in air-tight containers or freezer bags {see picture above}

Once the bread is frozen, it will stay fresh for months, and whenever you want a slice, just pull one out of the freezer and pop it in your toaster — just like an English Muffin!

No comments:

Post a Comment