Pages

Background

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Homemade Applesauce

I was so thrilled this week when my store had all their apples on sale for .69cents/lb!!! I bought 15lbs, but will go back and get more. The recipe couldn't be any easier. Thank you Balancing Beauty and Bedlam!!! Since I don't own a food mill, I peeled, cored and cut the apples by hand. It didn't take very long, but if you have a food mill you will not have to do that and your sauce will be much more creamy. I don't mind a little bit of chunky. I used 7lbs in my crockpot, put 2 cinnamon sticks in the apples, and sprinkled a little more cinnamon on top of the apples.


I cooked it on low all night long to smell that beautiful smell in the morning! Then, I used my hand mixer and mushed it all up, and added a little brown sugar and cinnamon (about 1/3 Cup sugar and more cinnamon to taste).

It made almost 5 pints canned...and a few bowls fresh for the kids.





Processing time in the canner was 20 minutes according to my favorite canning site Pick Your Own! They have instructions for the way I did it, as well as if you use a food mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment